05 December 2008

The end of a job

The Scane/Thomas job was my first job, on my own. They "followed" me, if you will, as I departed from my last job.

I met Jerry and Andrea while working a home and garden show last fall ('07), at the NKBA "garage sale". Jerry and Andrea looked like an average couple, wandering through, trying to make sense of things. They asked me my opinion on a kitchen sink, and proceeded to tell me they were building a house and it became painfully obvious they were extremely overwhelmed with all of the decisions they were having to make. We immediately got along well and they were so appreciative of my help. I had dropped a bit of a sales pitch (without really meaning it), and let them know that if they need help with the cabinetry, or really any part of the design, they should call and set up an appointment to visit our showroom. Since they were already in the process of building, and were at the stage of purchasing fixtures and so forth, I figured there wasn't really anything we could do for them.

On the contrary. To my surprise, they did call to set up an appointment. I initially met with them and attained plans, and discussed what they would like help with. Usually, after that point, they would meet with my boss and she would take over from there, but this time she kindly allowed me to "take the job". We worked together really well, and I came up with some beautiful drawings for them. And, though they decided to go with their builders' cabinet maker (later we found out that was a mistake, unfortunately), they did choose to continue to work with me further to keep all of the design details, such as finish and lighting selections, in order, as well as to do the running and shopping for all of those things. They paid for 64 of my hours, for a total of $5000(!).

I couldn't have asked for a better job. Jerry and Andrea were building a new house, with the intent to make it look and feel like it had always "been there", with architectural details reminiscent of an old four-square. I can't tell you how long I had dreamed of doing something like this (though, I prefer to work with the real thing). Throughout the process, my ideas were so well received. Jerry and Andrea were ecstatic about every little detail I had thought of, as they had wanted such enthusiasm from the time they started the project, but their builder had evidently not delivered in that regard. I guess they got exactly what they paid for, and it was a perfect fit for both parties.

Coincidentally, their 64 hours was up right around the time I was to be done with my employment. I had pretty much figured that that was the end of my working relationship with Jerry and Andrea. But, low and behold, they contacted me and requested that I help them further, shortly after I left my job.

Today was (probably) my last day working on their project. And I didn't even get to see them. I went out to meet a couple of installers in the morning, and now my part is basically done. I'm going to miss working with them, as they are truly a wonderful couple. And, when it comes down to it, the easiest people to work with. When they knew what they wanted, they said as much, but otherwise left it up to me - which was most of the time. They spent money where it was worth spending money, but they weren't frivolous. And you would never guess by meeting them that they have money. Perfect clients.

No comments: